Friday, August 18, 2006

Chuck "The Lobbyist"

Anyone whose known me for a long time knows I have always been fascinated with politics. I never thought it was something I would actually get involved in, but you never know.

Well, getting involved in the anti-drug coalition has continued to change and mold me in to a person I barely recognize. I'm not the same person I was about three years ago. Instead of being shy and quiet, I'm taking charge, kicking some butt, etc, etc, so on and so forth.

So there is some legislation that I think we need to help combat our drug problem. First, is a paraphernalia statute. Wyoming is one of the last states in the nation to have no such law which is utterly ridiculous. You cannot pretend to care and be serious about the drug problem and allow people to buy bongs and pipes! Duh!

The second legisation is a little more rare....it is the "fraudulant drug testing" law. This would help reduce the amount of people cheating on their probation or employment drug tests. Here in Gillette we have two stores who sell drinks and pills that people can use to flush drugs out of their system. The bill would not allow businesses to sell these products, nor would anyone be allowed to use or possess them.

I contacts the Campbell County delegation and a representative has graciously volunteered to sponsor both bills. I met with a senator earlier this week who is going to co-sponsor the bills. So I have both sides of the floor accounted for which is good. I still want to find a few more people in other regions of the state to co-sponsor the bill so we can get these things passed!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree. If people here really care about the drug problem, then these type of things need to be considered as part of the problem. After all, what the heck else do you use a bong for? Nevermind. I don't even want to think about it. Also, I think that the manufacturing of Sudafed should be discontinued. It's not a life saving medicine thus there is more value in NOT having it available than HAVING it.