Today, a detective from the police department came and spoke to us about their taser guns they have started using. So, if we are out with our boys in blue and the weapon has to be used, we know what to expect.
These things are pretty darn impressive. They essentially shoot two barbs that look like a fish hook into you from up to 25 feet away. The electric current that runs through them can not kill you, but it does hurt. Drops the biggest and strongest bad guy you can find straight to the ground and makes him whimper like a little baby.
As unpleasant as it sounds to be shot with two fish hooks bringing electricity to your body, it looks like it is very safe. It only immobilizes you while the current is going through for the standard five seconds. If you continue to resist there will be more juice. If not, it is all over. There are no after affects or anything.
It seems a lot smarter to use a taser then to use OC or pepper spray on someone. I know first hand what pepper spray does to me, and its not fun. Odds are, if I try to hit someone with pepper spray, I'm going to get some of it on me too. Whats the point in trying to stop someone else with pepper spray if I'm going to likely be affected by it to!?!?!?
Sounds like our office is going to start an effort to convince the bosses in Cheyenne that we should have these things. They would be ideal for home visits in the field and would REALLY improve our safety. I won't hold my breath, but you never know.

2 comments:
So here's what has me nervous: the idea that your entry about the cool new tazer guns immediately follows your post about wanting to kick a few asses in your discussion group ... should we worry?? :0) Have a better day.
Hmmm. For some reason the thought of two barbs going into my leg and shooting electricity through my body does not make me all that excited. I will try to not piss you off--if the bosses down in Cheyenne decide you need one of these things, at any rate. Agh!
Post a Comment