Thursday, August 16, 2007

It's Showtime Folks

As most of you are already aware, I am deeply involved in local efforts to reduce substance abuse problems. Over the years, I have gotten more and more involved in different groups. It is almost getting ridiculous:
  • Coalition Promoting a Drug-Free Community (Chairman)
  • Drug-Free Workplace Task Force
  • Community Coalition Against Underage Drinking
  • Governor's Substance Abuse & Violent Crime Advisory Board
  • Community Mental Health Advisory Board
  • Prevention Framework Coalition

That is a lot of meetings every month, but hey...it will look good on a resume that I might never need! HAHA

It has been a slow road in Gillette trying to convince out politicians that there is a problem and that they have a responsibility and obligation for helping find and fund solutions. Things started to change a little over a year ago and are about to totally bust open in our favor.

The prevention framework group has been working on a tedious plan to lower underage drinking and adult binge drinking. It has taken many hours of work and there is still more to do, but we are almost done. After we apply for the grant to fund those programs, we then go to work on a massive and all encompasing master plan to attack all local substance abuse problems from every possible angle.

It is going to take several months to do the research and planning. But the payoff will be so huge once we get there. It sounds like we will be able to get started either in September or October. I've been dreaming for that day to actually come and it is almost here.


1 comment:

Mysti said...

Okay, my comments have become few and far between as of late. My apologies! As you found through our discussion the other day, I'm the busy little bee with much production taking place. I am sounding nearly as busy as yourself these days. Keep at it. Achieving your dreams is an amazingly overwhelming experience. Trust me, I learned that Friday when my first magazine proof came flooding through my email.